Monday, March 12, 2012

DH still doesn't get it....

He still doesn't get that handling yarn, knitting, winding, moving around doesn't mean that I'm not listening to him. 
Really, I do listen.  It's a no-win.  If I freeze and quit moving while listening, I obviously seem too "struck" or "deer in the headlights".  Looking directly in the eyes is confrontational.  Not looking in the eyes is ignoring.  Talking; I say things that come out in ways or are heard in ways that I didn't mean.  Not Talking; not good either.  Walking away - really not good.
"Is knitting really more important than this?"  What?  No, haven't you been paying attention?  Knitting helps me listen to "this", whatever "this" may be.  Just because I pick up the knitting laying on the table does not mean that I'm going to stop listening.  This is one difference between men and women that I will freely embrace and champion.  It has finally become obvious to me that a male working on a project is totally focused and cannot be bothered by anything in his surroundings.  Women do it all the time!
Knitting is my focussing, centering behavior.  Like kneeling can focus prayer.  Like standing can focus attention. Like facing the speaker shows respect.  Like stop, look and listen.......
In a class, lecture or sermon, is knitting any different than doodling?  Doodling can be misrepresented as taking notes, and is therefore more acceptable.  In A Tale of Two Cities, Madame Defarge was believed to keep a record of wrong-doers in her knitting.  Why can't I?
Yes, I will admit that I have met women that get so absorbed in their knitting or needle-craft that they tune out all other activity.  I think it's frequently called "being in the zone".  And there are some crafty activities that do require total concentration.  But plain knitting isn't one of those times. 
So, if you really want me to listen to you, hand me that baby hat project.  Or the dishcloth project.  Or maybe even the socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment