Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gave the sheep away, KEEPING the HUSBAND !

After many months of my DH telling me I need to "do something with those sheep and all that wool or give them away," I did it.  I gave them away.
Not too long ago, my DD#2 mentioned that a boy at school had parents "just like You and Daddy". 
Always a scarry thing for your offspring to say.
What she meant was, they live on a smallish farm, but aren't "real" farmers.
They have more than the average number of kids.
They have animals that are not typical:  specifically Jacob Sheep, Alpaca, Goats, and some other interesting things, but she had my attention there.
So, it took me several weeks to work up the courage, but I did finally pick up a phone book, and they were in there.  Of course they were! It's a small town!
Dial the phone and talk to the Mom.  It's like she's me in a parallel universe.  Given a few changed decisions or circumstances, and I could have been her.  You know what I mean!  Don't give me that look....
Sure, she knows DD#2 goes to school with her DS#1.  Yes, they do indeed have Jacob Sheep.  About 40 of them not incuding the lambs, more being born every day.  And, yes they do shear them, or at least as many as she has time to, but there's a guy that comes to finish what she can't get to.
But they shear in the Fall, not the Spring, and she even knows Why it's a good idea to do that.  She gets lots of brownie points for knowing more about it than I do.  But she's not so fussy that she puts coats on the sheep or anything like that.  Cool:  smart, but not snooty.
Yes, she does spin, on her mother's antique wheel, but not as much as she would like because she doesn't have time.  She's even got a fancy-schmancy drum carder.  (Man, she's got good toys too!)  And, she just lives a little ways away....
Would she TAKE the sheep off our hands?  For Free?  The only way this could be better would be if one of them was a Ram, but no, they aren't.
Well, we could bring the sheep over anytime.  But her DH is going to have to drive clear over to another county to go get Hay on Saturday, Wait, what?  We have Hay!  I can give you Hay!
So, her DH picks up the sheep and the two big round bales of hay and takes them home.  Our kids and her kids get to help load them up.  The DHs get to know each other.  The DHs work out that I'll get two bales $ worth of wool.  Yeah!
One less sore spot between the DH and I.  Except that I didn't really know what hay is worth, and probably should have negotiated for cash.  But, I'll take it as a sign of his love for me that he traded for wool....
Whoo!
(Sorry about the stick-tights and cockle-burrs)

No comments:

Post a Comment